Top 10 LGBT Bars In The U.S.
Despite increasing recognition of LGBT rights and lifestyle, the bar scenes and nightlife in many cities remain geared largely toward straight people. Of course, this doesn't mean that there are necessarily "straight only" bars out there, but sometimes it can feel that way. Fortunately, there are still bars and clubs out there that specifically welcome and embrace the LGBT community. So here's a look at 10 of the very best LGBT bars in the United States!
1. Roscoe's - Chicago, IL Roscoe's is something of a self-perpetuating legend. Known around the country as one of the best gay bars, it continues to bring in beautiful people looking for upbeat music and fun times.
2. Woody's Bar - Philadelphia, PA This is a super active bar that tends to have a a young crowd in house. In fact, with so many colleges around in a small area in downtown PA, this can essentially be called a college bar - but also Philly's best LGBT bar.
3. Akbar - Los Angeles, CA This is no west coast sports bar with a crowd watching games on television, and it's no pretentious Hollywood hangout. Rather, Akbar is a thriving dance club catering to the LGBT community and bringing in a straight crowd as well.
4. The Stud - San Francisco, CA This is a great combination of an old school bar that maintains a busy crowd and plenty of young people. It hasn't changed much over the years, and that means they're doing it right!
5. Therapy - New York, NY This is an incredibly cool Hell's Kitchen bar, where a staircase in the middle of things leads up to a second floor lounge. There you'll find a restaurant, as well as cabaret, karaoke, plenty of dancing, and the occasional comedy routine.
6. Mary's - Atlanta, GA This is an incredibly unique bar. Why? Well, as noted by New Now Next, there's a stuffed deer that sings karaoke, and the bar hosts "underwear twister" nights. Need we say more?
7. Karamba - Phoenix, AZ This is a great Latin bar that embraces the culture of so many inhabitants of Phoenix and the surrounding area. You'll have a blast, and may just feel like you're on vacation.
8. Re-Bar - Seattle, WA Re-Bar is full of unusual bar activities - drag fashion shows, spelling bees, and on saturday nights, active hip-hop DJs, and bingo tournaments like those found here. In summary, there's a bit of everything at this Seattle hangout.
9. The Raleigh Hotel - Miami Beach, FL The LGBT community is very active on Miami Beach, and The Raleigh Hotel exemplifies that activity. This is poolside partying at its very best, and will provide a memorable time!
10. The Eagle - Los Angeles, CA The crowd at this "leather bar" tends to be mostly male. However, women are welcome too, and the Wednesday night theme caters to hipster girls, which brings in a fun crowd.