The Xara Palace Relais & Châteaux, Malta
Malta has been at the crossroads of all the movements of civilizations that have rocked the Mediterranean, and always as an object of desire. It has been colonized by the Phoenicians, Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans, Arabs, Normans and finally the British. This rich tapestry of history has left the island with architectural treasures such as this 17th Century Palazzo, perched on a hilltop, in the medieval, walled city of Mdina.
It was in 1530, upon their arrival in Malta, that the Knights inherited Citta Notabile (as Mdina, the old capital, was then known). During their 200 year reign in Malta, they embellished, fortified and rebuilt Mdina so that today we have a remarkable city, full of history and culture, one that has changed little in the last one hundred years.
The Xara Palace, now a family-run, exclusive, boutique Hotel, originally served as a residence for the noble family Moscati Parisio. It was used by the British during the war and in 1949 it was converted to a Hotel, and run for many years until it fell into decline.
In 1996, the property was bought by the Zammit Tabona family with a vision to restore the building to its former glory, and for the delight of discerning visitors, to create a unique hotel experience, previously unavailable on the Maltese Islands.
Offering 17 individually designed Suites and spectacular panoramic views over the island and out to sea, is a landmark in Mdina. Now brought completely up to date to the highest international standards, this historic building still retains the time-honoured character for which it is famed both locally and abroad. Guests feel part of an intimate and secluded yet eclectic atmosphere. It caters for the individual traveler, mini-groups and corporate travelers. It is the setting for weddings and honeymoons.
A magical place – here all is charm, character and calm. The individually designed rooms, each with splendid romantic décor, are decorated with original paintings by Maltese and international artists, as well as antique tapestries and furnishings. Our esteemed clientele are pampered with every comfort, convenience and luxury. Our staff endeavour to honour their commitment to meet and exceed guest expectations – allowing The Xara Palace to remain peerless in its field – Malta’s most exclusive, boutique Hotel.
Whether you are after the ultimate honeymoon, a romantic wedding, a cultural stay or simply an exclusive getaway, this place has it all
The Xara Palace has become the only Maltese hotel within the Luxury Alliance, which groups together the members of Relais & Châteaux and The Leading Hotels of the World. The two organisations encompass the majority of the world’s best and most luxurious hotels and restaurants.
- Dining – the ‘de Mondion’ Restaurant Niched in the bastions of this fairy-tale, 17th Century Palazzo, The Xara Palace Relais and Châteaux, lies a gastronomic jewel, the award-winning de Mondion Restaurant. Fine dining is taken to a new level by Executive Chef Kevin Bonello and his talented brigade. Only the freshest and highest quality ingredients are sourced and the most sensitive cooking methods utilised to preserve taste and authenticity in dishes so beautifully created as to be works of art in their own right. Complimenting these tantalising offerings, served in discreet and elegant surroundings befitting Malta's most exclusive boutique Hotel, are the spectacular panoramic views of the island from the restaurant's bastion terraces. Let the fireworks that invariably adorn the summer skies, enchant you as you dine - celebrate a day, impress your guests, treat yourself - it will be an exquisitely unforgettable experience.
- Dining – Trattoria A.D. 1530 The Trattoria AD 1530 is a charming eatery that prides itself in serving traditional and tasty food typical of the word ‘Trattoria'. The service management team and also the kitchen brigade all fall under The Xara Palace Relais & Châteaux flag. Strategically situated in one of the old squares of Mdina, with the beautiful and imposing Vilhena Palace directly opposite and the magnificent 17th Century Palazzo of The Xara Palace on the other side, the Trattoria's idyllic location is simply perfect for al fresco dining. An equally charming ambiance is available for indoor dining. The high arched ceilings, old carpentry tools and other privately owned memorabilia lining the walls, adorn this quaint and cosy indoor space. The menu provides a wide selection of salads, pasta dishes, pizzas, fish and meat main courses, sandwiches, traditional platters and mouth-watering desserts and ice creams. A good selection of wines and trendy cocktails are also available.
- Management Info
- Gay friendly
- Number of Rooms/Units
- Mixed Gay/Straight
- In Room Facilities/Services
- Coffee / Tea Pot
- Internet Access
- Laundry Service
- Room Safe
- Call for More Information
- On Property Facilities/Services
- Meeting Rooms
- Room Service
- Shuttle to/from Airport
- Celebration Planning
- Hot Tub(s)
- Swimming Pool is situated 5 minutes away by car, at The Xara Lodge an Events Property part of The Xara family,transport is provided with compliments of the Hotel some restrictions may apply and are advised by the hotle
- Non-Smoking Rooms
- Commitment Ceremony Planning / Hosting
- Near Tourist Attractions
- Distance to Gay Entertainment
- Children Welcome
- Pets Allowed
Want to book?
Disclaimer: Every travel supplier on gaytravel.com has separate terms and conditions on their websites that will apply to your reservation and purchase of travel- related goods and services that you select. You hereby agree to read and abide by those terms and conditions. We are not responsible to you or anyone else for any loss, damage, liability, cost or expense suffered in connection with the use of gaytravel.com or any content on the site. Our site is provided ‘as is’. We make no warranties or representations about the site or its content and exclude, to the maximum extent permitted by law, any liability which may arise as a result of their use. We will never be liable for any indirect, incidental, special or consequential loss, or loss of profits or revenue arising out of the use of the site. You indemnify us against each claim, action, proceeding, judgment, damage, loss, expense or liability incurred or suffered by, or brought, made or recovered against us in connection with any breach by you of these terms.