Lima, Peru apparently has a relatively small openly-gay community for a city of nearly 9 million people- and many gays are very much in the closet still. Although Lima has become more and more liberal in the last few years, it is important to bear in mind that Peru in general still has a macho and conservative culture. The gay rights movement in Peru is in its infancy, although an attempt is being initiated to change the constitution. In the meantime homosexuality continues to be viewed negatively so adjust your behaviour accordingly and keep a low profile in public. It is clear that in this city, acceptance will only be achieved slowly and by not provoking reactionary elements. It is still a great place to visit though! Don't miss out on this beautiful South American city.
- LGBT Scene in Lima
Know before you go!
Meet up with gay travelers around the globe.
- Explore videos, photos, travel tips, maps and top Gay Destinations.
- Create your profile and make friends around the world.
- Meet like-minded travelers who share your interests.
- Post your stories and share your Gay Friendly travel tips with others.
- Browse our events and find the most reliable information about the best gay events around the globe.