Explore the contrasts that make Argentina such a rich place to visit - from its greatest city to the heart of Patagonia. Start and end in Buenos Aires and head to the southern Andes to stay in a small lodge overlooking Lake Viedma. Walk on the glacier and forest trails. Continue south to Ushuaia – at the southern tip of South America, and explore the unique landscape around the Beagle Channel. For those with enough time we also feature a two-day extension to Iguazu Falls.
- Arrival in Buenos Aires +1 Transfer from the airport to our modern hotel near Recoleta Cemetery. We will meet in the early evening for a reception and welcome dinner at our hotel (a light, late meal per Argentine custom).
- Buenos Aires City Tour +2 Tour the heart of Buenos Aires and see the Plaza de Mayo (including the Cabildo museum and La Casa Rosada). Drive through colorful traditional and upscale neighborhoods and stop to view the tombs at Recoleta Cemetery, including that of Evita Peron.
- Buenos Aires to El Calafate +3 An early flight takes us to El Calafate, high on the Patagonian Andes plateau. Drive west to the southern slopes of Los Glaciares National Park, to visit Perito Moreno Glacier, one of the few advancing ones in the world. We'll have a late lunch then the afternoon free to explore.
- El Chalten Touring +4-5 Drive to El Chalten, a small, young, remote town widely considered the trekking capital of the country. We'll walk into the forest for spectacular views of Fitz Roy and Torre Mountains. Visit Lago del Desierto and Rio Las Vueltas. Have a wine tasting and dinner at the lodge this evening. After breakfast the next morning we head to the nearby Bahia Tunel, to sail the western part of pristine Lake Viedma. Disembark for a walk on the glacier with glorious lake and mountain vistas. The afternoon will be free to relax, walk in town, arrange independent activities.
- Off to Ushuaia! +6 Depart El Chalten early for a flight to Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world. Check into a classic and dine together at a local restaurant.
- Hiking or Ranch Tour +7 We may join other visitors to Ushuaia during today's activities. A 7-hour excursion in Tierra del Fuego National Park, features easy trekking through forests and marshlands to Laguna Perdida. You may prefer a visit to Harberton Ranch, a leisurely tour with a boat ride on the Beagle Channel, a stop at a penguin rookery, and wildlife viewing along the coastal marshes and wooded hillsides.
- Ushuaia Touring +8 Visit Tierra del Fuego National Park outside Ushuaia. Walk along Roca Lake and Papataia River, close to the Chilean border, passing Green and Black Lakes. After hiking, board a catamaran to navigate the Beagle Channel to Ushuaia’s harbor. The islands and bays are home to large colonies of sea birds and marine mammals. The afternoon will be free to explore Ushuaia.
- Return to Buenos Aires +9 A morning flight returns us to Buenos Aires for a free afternoon before our festive and late-night finale: one of the best tango shows in the land that made the dance famous!
- Departure +10 There are no scheduled group activities today, so feel free to arrange flights as needed. We offer an optional extension to Iguazu Falls, or a simple day trip to Buenos Aires suburbs for a colorful local lunch.
- Important Notes
based on a shared room
for solo travelers who wish to enjoy a private bedroom and bathroom
“A great trip. The Patagonian glacier, the Ushuaia area, and the hiking were special…enjoyed the group. The trip was thought out and planned well”C.C., Conway, NH
“The event which I talk about most when telling friends about the trip is hiking on the glacer. Being in the most southern city in the world [Ushuaia] was wonderful. [Iguazu] Falls were wonderful. Wouldn’t miss it for the world. The tour in Buenos Aires was also wonderful and the tango show was another highlight of the trip.”Bruce and David, Sheffield, MA
To fully enjoy this tour, one should be able to walk for extended periods on uneven surfaces and enjoy outdoor activities. The tour includes a glacier walk and an optional trek to a mountain lake.
Airport-hotel transfers on arrival and departure days and on other days when extra nights are reserved as part of the tour; All ground transportation within Argentina; Entrance fees for all sightseeing described in itinerary; Deluxe hotels each night, with private bath; Breakfast each day, 5 lunches (including mid-day dinners and picnic lunches), and 4 evening dinners, including wine at Welcome and Farewell dinners; Wine tasting at El Chalten; Services of Hanns Ebensten Travel tour director throughout the tour (subject to minimum participation), and local guides in each location; All hotel service charges, government taxes, porterage, and gratuities for drivers and included meals. All HE Travel tours include complimentary Medical & Evacuation Insurance
What’s NOT Included
International airfare; Domestic flights within Argentina (est. $700 for main tour, $400 for Iguazu Falls extension); Departure taxes for international flights; Meals not included in tour package; Gratuities for guides and Hanns Ebensten Travel tour director; Personal items including: alcoholic beverages, snacks, laundry, and telephone calls.
* Enjoy magical nights in Buenos Aires * Sail on a glacial lake * Hike on the Viedma Glacier * Scout the surrounding alpine forests * Savor dinner and wine tasting in a rustic lodge at El Calafate * Visit the Perito Moreno section of Los Glaciares National Park to see one of the last advancing glaciers in the world * Explore the mountains and channels at the tip of South America from Ushuaia * Join us for an optional 2-night extension to visit the spectacular falls of Iguazu, including a guided hike at the top of the falls, and a boat ride below the cascade.
Want to Book?
Call Us Now — 866-294-8174
Call Us Now (Intl.) — +1-305-294-8174
Disclaimer: Every travel supplier on gaytravel.com has separate terms and conditions on their websites that will apply to your reservation and purchase of travel- related goods and services that you select. You hereby agree to read and abide by those terms and conditions. We are not responsible to you or anyone else for any loss, damage, liability, cost or expense suffered in connection with the use of gaytravel.com or any content on the site. Our site is provided ‘as is’. We make no warranties or representations about the site or its content and exclude, to the maximum extent permitted by law, any liability which may arise as a result of their use. We will never be liable for any indirect, incidental, special or consequential loss, or loss of profits or revenue arising out of the use of the site. You indemnify us against each claim, action, proceeding, judgment, damage, loss, expense or liability incurred or suffered by, or brought, made or recovered against us in connection with any breach by you of these terms.