Southern Africa, the mythic land of mountains and harbors, wild game reserves and stunning countryside, is our playground for a glorious week and a half. Our small gay group will explore Cape Town’s colonial history and exciting nightlife, then drive along Africa’s southwestern-most coastline from Table Mountain to the Cape of Good Hope, where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet. Take several game drives from our luxurious safari lodge, where we are likely to see lions, leopards, elephants and rhinos. Spend a night near Johannesburg, then travel to Victoria Falls for a breathtaking view of natural beauty.
- Arrival +1 Many flights arrive in Cape Town during the evening, so there are no activities planned for the first tour day. However, for those who arrive early, we have arranged an optional Cape Malay Cooking Safari. That tour begins at the Bo-Kaap Museum, then a walking tour of the area with our guide. There are nine mosques in the area, including the oldest in South Africa. We stay at the chic, waterfront One&Only Hotel, located in the heart of the picturesque Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, which offers an unprecedented level of luxury in South Africa.
- Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point Tour +2 Drive south along the spectacular Atlantic seaboard from Cape Town and see the Twelve Apostles rock formations, the beach of Camps Bay, to charming Hout Bay, then along Chapman’s Peak Drive, high above the ocean. Visit the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve and watch for herds of antelope, African black oystercatchers and avocets. Walk or take the funicular to the lighthouse at Cape Point before continuing our drive to see the African Penguins. Back in Cape Town, we’ll dine together tonight and enjoy an evening of homegrown South African cultural entertainment.
- Winelands Tour +3 Depart Cape Town by chauffeur-driven vintage World War II sidecars to tour the rich agricultural lands and vineyards of the historic Winelands region. We’ll cross the nearby Boland Mountains for a leisurely exploration of historic towns; indulging in regional olive oil tastings, wine & chocolate pairings and home-grown hospitality. A multi-course gourmet lunch awaits at one of the most famous specialty restaurants, Babylonstoren. Return to Cape Town in the late afternoon for an evening is on your own.
- Cape Town City Tour & Table Mountain +4 This morning we'll enjoy a visit to Table Mountain via revolving cable car and walk around its famous flat summit. The steep cliffs and rocky outcrops of the mountain are home to approximately 1470 species of plants (more than the entire British Isles!) and a stunning range of fauna; some found nowhere else in the world. Visit the up-and-coming De Waterkant district of Cape Town and have lunch at an exciting new restaurant. The evening will be at leisure: we recommend exploring the restaurants and bars of the Victoria & Albert Waterfront or indulge in some pampering at One&Only's luxurious spa.
- Historic Johannesburg +5 Today fly to Johannesburg (this flight not included in tour fee.) then travel together to Liliesleaf Farm. This interactive museum honors South Africa’s remarkable heritage and gives insights into some of the revolutionary personalities who helped to shape the country’s democracy. Check in to a luxury hotel near Nelson Mandela Square, and enjoy a leisurely afternoon shopping or relaxing by the pool. In the evening after our dinner together, guests might enjoy a hand-selected cigar & cognac, or choose from more than 120 wines from South African vineyards and around the world.
- Classic Safari +6-7 Today we board a flight to Hoedspruit, bound for the Moditlo River Lodge. (Flights between Johannesburg and our safari are included in the tour price.). During our two days at Moditlo, we have the opportunity to view a wide variety of African game at different times of the day with our rangers, employed for their knowledge of the African bush and their ability to share their love of the land. When conditions allow, we venture out on guided walks, giving us the chance to appreciate the flora and fauna of the region, and to follow tracks in more detail. Our Lodge serves for a gourmet dinner, either in the bush or in the lodge building. Guests can socialize around the campfire before bed.
- Johannesburg at Leisure +8 After a final early morning game drive through the bush, we'll have breakfast and check out of the hotel, heading to the airport and back to Johannesburg. Depending on our arrival time in Johannesburg we may make a short visit to the famous Soweto Township, then check into a hotel near Johannesburg Airport, with time to relax at the hotel's exquisite spa.
- Victoria Falls! +9-10 We fly to Victoria Falls, on the Zimbabwe side of the Zambezi River. Our hotel is Victoria Falls Safari Club, a new luxury lodge situated on magnificent grounds and overlooking a waterhole with frequent wild visitors. We'll have lunch on our own, with some time to settle in before our Sundowner Cruise on the Zambezi River. We'll be on the lookout for hippo, crocodile, elephant, and even rhino in their home habitat, as well as many different bird species. In the morning we'll begin our guided tour of Victoria Falls, considered one of the seven natural wonders of the world. This afternoon we take an elephant-back safari along the edge of the Zambezi Gorges in Victoria Falls National Park. We’ll have our farewell meal tonight, enjoying our last evening in Africa together.
- Farewell to Africa +11 The morning is free to wander the lush grounds of our hotel until time for our transfer to Victoria Falls Airport and our flight to Johannesburg, arriving there mid-afternoon.
- Important Notes
based on a shared room
for solo travelers who wish to enjoy a private bedroom and bathroom
Our South Africa Heritage & Safari tour includes walking on sometimes uneven or wet surfaces. During our safaris we will be on dirt tracks in open vehicles. These are perfect for seeing wildlife, but provide for a much bumpier ride than on city streets.
Arrival transfers from Cape Town airport to hotel; Accommodations at fine hotels and lodges in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Victoria Falls; Three-day / two-night safari at one of South Africa’s finest luxury game lodges, including accommodations, all meals and twice daily excursions to view wildlife in their natural setting; All breakfasts, 6 lunches and 5 dinners; All transportation by motor coaches, cars, funiculars, sidecars and other vehicles when traveling as a group; Round-trip flights between Johannesburg and Safari Camp; Airport transfers for group flights; South African airport departure taxes when traveling with the group; Meals as noted in the itinerary; Wine or soft drinks at the Welcome and Farewell dinners; Services of a knowledgeable HE Travel tour director (subject to minimum participation), along with licensed South African guides; Admissions and guided tours at all attractions; All hotel service charges, government taxes, porterage, and gratuities for drivers and included meals. All HE Travel tours include complimentary Medical & Evacuation insurance.
What’s NOT Included
Airfare from home to Cape Town and from Johannesburg to home; Airfare from Cape Town to Johannesburg and between Johannesburg and Victoria Falls (estimated about US$670); International departure taxes; Zimbabwe visa for visit to Victoria Falls (purchased upon arrival at Victoria Falls Airport – currently US$30, payable in cash); Meals not included in tour package; Gratuities for guides and HE Travel tour director; Personal items including: alcoholic beverages, snacks, laundry, and telephone calls.
* Travel with a fun, congenial gay group. Take the gay party on the road while visiting South Africa’s cities, mountains, savannahs, jungles, & seascapes. * Learn about the history and culture of the Cape Malay people, through an optional walking tour and cooking class on the first tour day. * Explore the charming city of Cape Town and discover its colonial history. * Stay at some of South Africa’s finest lodgings, including a deluxe One & Only bungalow on a small island in the heart of Cape Town. * See the Cape of Good Hope and stunning harbor vistas. * Take a funicular ride to the top of Table Mountain for panoramic views. * Put on goggles for a sidecar ride to the Winelands above Cape Town. * See lions, rhinos, elephants and more on safari, while staying in a stylish and luxurious bush lodge near Kruger National Park. * Experience the beauty of Victoria Falls, one of the world’s most spectacular sights. * Ride an elephant along the edge of the Zambezi gorges at Victoria Falls. * Enjoy the food and wine which have put South Africa on the culinary map. * Ask us about arriving in Cape Town in style from Pretoria on the Blue Train. * Post-tour visits to the rich game reserves of Botswana’s Okavango Delta and Chobe National Park can be arranged upon request.
Want to Book?
Call Us Now — 866-294-8174
Call Us Now (Intl.) — +1-305-294-8174
Disclaimer: Every travel supplier on gaytravel.com has separate terms and conditions on their websites that will apply to your reservation and purchase of travel- related goods and services that you select. You hereby agree to read and abide by those terms and conditions. We are not responsible to you or anyone else for any loss, damage, liability, cost or expense suffered in connection with the use of gaytravel.com or any content on the site. Our site is provided ‘as is’. We make no warranties or representations about the site or its content and exclude, to the maximum extent permitted by law, any liability which may arise as a result of their use. We will never be liable for any indirect, incidental, special or consequential loss, or loss of profits or revenue arising out of the use of the site. You indemnify us against each claim, action, proceeding, judgment, damage, loss, expense or liability incurred or suffered by, or brought, made or recovered against us in connection with any breach by you of these terms.