Rafting the Middle Fork of the Salmon River
Our gay rafting adventure begins near the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho. The Main Salmon River is known as the “River of No Return”, and the Middle Fork has been called “the Crown Jewel of Idaho.”
Witness fascinating remnants of western mining culture and pioneer history. Perfect for all interests and abilities, the Salmon has friendly, deep pool-drop rapids.
The sage-covered hills are frequently dotted with moose, black bear, bighorn sheep, and the sky is filled with herons, cranes and golden eagles. This unspoiled wilderness was once home to the Sheepeater Indians but few others have called this remote landscape home.
Take a suspenseful plunge through wild rapids, then relax in the afternoon, fishing for the native west slope cutthroat trout. After a gourmet dinner, fall asleep under a rich canopy of stars.
- Welcome to Boise +Day 1 Our tour starts in the late afternoon with a meet and greet gathering at the hotel. Tonight’s included lodging will be in a comfortable bed at one of Boise’s boutique style accommodations. If you have any extra time, make sure to head downtown to enjoy some of Boise’s vibrant night life.
- Fly to the River +Day 2 This morning we will take a small charter plane, then shuttle bus, to our put-in location. Before we launch, we’ll have orientation, demonstrating kayak safety, raft safety and general river safety. Each day, guests are given the option of paddling an inflatable kayak, paddling with a team in a paddle raft, or just relaxing and accompanying a guide on one of the gear rafts.
- Clear Water, Blue Skies, Peace and Quiet +Day 3-6 Your day on the river begins with a hearty breakfast. After breaking camp, we will travel about 15 miles each day. For those who want to kick back and relax, the oar rig might be the craft of choice. More adventurous types might tackle the rapids in a paddle raft, or a “ducky” (inflatable kayak). Experienced whitewater canoeists and kayakers with the appropriate skill level may choose to bring their own boat or paddle one of ours. Heading down the river, there’s a lot to see: pictographs, abandoned miners’ cabins, waterfalls, and wildlife. Mid-day lunch stops may also include a scenic hike or beach volleyball. Each day offers new opportunities, including hot springs, short hikes to see artifacts and pictographs, waterfalls and amazing vistas. We typically pull into camp between 4 and 5 pm. While hors d’oeuvres and dinner are being prepared, there’s always time for a hike or a chance to hook a trophy fish. And of course, as night falls, campfire stories abound and river tales get taller.
- Fly Back to Boise +Day 7 We’ll check back into our hotel in Boise in the late afternoon. Dinner tonight is on your own.
- Farewell Idaho +Day 8 Most travelers will catch flights from Boise International Airport to begin their journeys home.
- Important Notes
Includes shared room
Limited nights (for solo travelers who wish to enjoy a private bedroom and bathroom while in our Boise hotel)
Rafting, canoeing and kayaking are all choices on this amazing adventure. Although no experience is necessary, this tour is an excellent choice for those who have joined us on other rafting trips and would like something more advanced.
Light aircraft flights between Boise and rafting sites; Professional guiding; Gourmet meals and beverages (including beer and wine) on rafting days; Tents; Sleeping bags and pads; Dry bags; Wet suits; River equipment; Inflatable kayaks; For experienced paddlers, the use of hardshell kayaks; Rafts; USFS Recreation Enhancement Act Fees; One hotel night before the tour begins and one night after the tour’s completion. HE Travel provides complimentary Medical & Evacuation Insurance for every US Resident on our group tours who does not have other coverage.
What’s NOT Included
Airfare to and from Boise; Transfers between Boise airport and hotel (free shuttle provided by hotel); Meals in Boise; Gratuities for guides.
Plunge through whitewater rapids on your choice of kayak, oar raft, or while riding in the gear raft with the guides.
Enjoy gourmet meals made from locally sourced foods.
Cool off in a cascading waterfalls.
Warm up in riverside hot springs.
Hike to extraordinarily beautiful Indian ruins, petroglyphs, and amazing vistas.
Swim in the crystal clear waters of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River.
Want to Book?
Call Us Now — 866-294-8174
Disclaimer: Every travel supplier on gaytravel.com has separate terms and conditions on their websites that will apply to your reservation and purchase of travel- related goods and services that you select. You hereby agree to read and abide by those terms and conditions. We are not responsible to you or anyone else for any loss, damage, liability, cost or expense suffered in connection with the use of gaytravel.com or any content on the site. Our site is provided ‘as is’. We make no warranties or representations about the site or its content and exclude, to the maximum extent permitted by law, any liability which may arise as a result of their use. We will never be liable for any indirect, incidental, special or consequential loss, or loss of profits or revenue arising out of the use of the site. You indemnify us against each claim, action, proceeding, judgment, damage, loss, expense or liability incurred or suffered by, or brought, made or recovered against us in connection with any breach by you of these terms.